Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Farewell, Mormon Mark!

Our good friend, Mark, left the island this past weekend. It was especially sad for us, as he was our first friend here in American Samoa. In fact, we all moved here on the exact same day and met in the Honolulu Airport while en route to Samoa. Mark became like family to us and Emma loved playing card games with him after our many dinners we ate together. On Saturday night, there was a party thrown in honor of Mark, and as usual, he was a kid magnet. Mark joined in his farewell dancing and it was pretty impressive to see him shaking his hips. We saw him off at the airport and after saying she wouldn't cry, Emma broke down and cried for a long time. She has such a wonderful, caring heart and I know it is hard for her with all the goodbyes she's had to endure during the past few years. I will truly miss Mark, but I was also feeling a bit sorry for myself. After all, we arrived on the same day so shouldn't we be leaving on the same day? I guess our time will come, too.

1 comment: