It was nice to see the island again with fresh eyes. My parents commented on so many things that I now take for commonplace. I realize that I've lived here for awhile as I am no longer shocked by the everyday sights. We passed by dozens of chickens and stray dogs wandering along the road and near the brightly colored, although dilapidated houses. Most houses have graves of their loved ones in their front yards. These graves are built up as mounds and it seems the higher the mound, the more important (or rich) the deceased. Some people even put their dead loved ones in their living rooms!
We stopped into the Park's Visitor Center and my parents looked around for a bit at the displays of shells, traditional handicrafts, and more. There are Samoan women who demonstrate weaving and they were working on a very large mat. They said it takes them 2-3 months to finish one mat! We continued on our drive to the National Park. Along the way, we passed by the tuna canneries. After experiencing the smell, my mom said she may not be eating tuna again anytime soon! After seeing one of the ugliest sights on the island, we turned off to one of the most beautiful -- the National Park. The road heads almost straight up, proving almost too much for our little Kia. At the top of the first mountain, there is a great view of Pago Pago and surrounds.The road continues along and goes up and down two more mountains. All along the way, we saw many birds! My mom ended up with 9 life birds. The National Park maintains a great scenic overlook with views of Pola Island. 

We also headed down and took a short hike to the beach near Pola Island. This small island is huge in stature, with heights of 400 feet! Many seabirds nest on these cliffs. After all the bird watching, I think my Dad was ready to see the other amazing wildlife of American Samoa so we donned our snorkeling and headed out to the reef. It was quite windy in Vatia and the underwater visibility wasn't that great, but my Dad and I saw a number of fish and coral. It was great to snorkel with my Dad and I found myself reminiscing on my first snorkeling experiences as a kid in Ludington State Park. We used to snorkel in the river, looking for fishing lures.
All in all, I have to say it was a great first day in American Samoa!

4 comments:
Thanks for the updates. We miss you guys. Sarah, Caleb and I wish we were with you all.
Sounds like you all are having a good time. You are not missing anything here, except for a 97ยบ day in GR. Keep us posted.
Josh
Wow! Grand Rapids is hotter than American Samoa?!! Today was 85 degrees (but with 74% humidity). Who knew I could move the South Pacific and be cooler than at home?
We miss you, too -- Josh, Tracy, Brendan, Jason, Sarah & Caleb! Be sure to give our nephews hugs.
Oh, and Mom wants you to know she got 11 life birds in Hawaii.
We are having fun. Emma and I went to her school and picked limes for gin and tonics.
Dad
Post a Comment