Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Beautify Your Island?

With the Festival of Pacific Arts quickly approaching, there are some noticeable changes happening around the island. It is a big deal for American Samoa to be selected as the host country for this festival that occurs only every four years. There will be thousands of people coming from 27 island nations so the locals here are really trying make our island look its best. Most of their attempts are rather tacky, but maybe it's just a matter of taste. How many different ways can you decorate with a coconut? Everywhere I go, all I see is painting, painting, painting. The paint store has done its market research, as the radio advertisement says to come buy paint for all your "coconut, rock, and tire painting" rather than for homes and buildings or other things I typically associate paint with. Who cares what your house looks like when you have a shiny, gold coconut stack sitting in your yard?There is some good coming out of all of this. The once graffiti-covered bus stops are getting cool paint jobs and on Friday there was an island-wide cleanup. The amount of trash is noticeably less, but I'm doubtful that it will last long.

No comments: