
Paul and I each hit a milestone in our diving careers on this trip. Somehow our number of dives coincided so that Paul would make his 2,000
th dive and I my 100
th dive on the same dive. Paul even turned down an offer to dive with his friends before our trip because our total dives were 1,990 and 90. Although I'm quite pleased with my 100+ dives, it does seem like a
miniscule number next to 2,000. Incredibly, Paul has spent about 109 days of his life underwater. That's 109 full 24-hour days or more than 3 1/2 months of his life breathing underwater!

Our milestone day was spent diving off the islands of
Ofu and
Olosega. Two dives in particular were the best dives I've made in American Samoa. We saw a 5+ foot

long
humphead wrasse, an internationally endangered species, that shadowed us for awhile (pictured at left -- yes, it's really 5 feet long!). He was accompanied by two 3 foot female
humpheads. We saw a total of 5 spotted eagle rays on one dive. We also encountered 2
blacktip reef sharks, a green sea turtle, and giant schools of fish. The schools included white-spotted
surgeonfish, black
durgeons,
whitecheek surgeonfish, and tan-faced
parrotfish.
No comments:
Post a Comment