Tuesday, June 26, 2007

WOW -- it's big!

On day two, we headed back over to the same general spot offshore to Ta'u. Our boat captain, Andy, noticed a blip on his depth finder so Paul and Doug grabbed their masks and snorkels and jumped in to investigate. Meredith and I soon followed and we were all hovering over a very big coral. It was immediately apparent that we had in fact located the giant coral. It was 2-3 times bigger than any of the other large corals we had seen previously. We proceeded to get on our dive gear and head under.

The coral looks like a small mountain underwater. Unfortunately, light and color are absorbed the deeper you go underwater. Our point and shoot camera is better at taking close-ups underwater than wide-angle shots so you'll have to use your imagination a bit with the pictures. However, if some blogger whiz out there could tell me how to post video, we have some great quality film clips I could post on the blog. Anyways, the top of the coral is located in 25 feet of water and the bottom at 50 feet. Our work as research assistants quickly set in, as Meredith and I began measuring this and adjacent Porites corals while Paul was filming. The circumference of the coral is 41 meters. This really is big, as it took a minute to swim all the way around it. It measures over 34 x 22 meters in width and length.

Given the size of a coral, its age can be estimated. This giant coral is over 1,000 years old! That could make it one of the oldest living animals on Earth!

5 comments:

Grandma and Poppa said...

Sounds like you guys had a lot of fun. I looked at the resort site. Beautiful. Probably a little more like you would expect Pago Pago and environs to be.

Elizabeth said...

Oh, wow! That is incredible!

I can teach you how to upload photos. You post them on utube (create an account) and upload. I can show you how to make a link in your blogspot post. It's easier than it sounds.

Elizabeth said...

Sorry I didn't mean photos I meant videos.

The Brown's said...

That would be great, Liz. I actually tried to call you last night, thinking you could help. My reason for calling was three-fold, though:

1. The above-mentioned video assistance.
2. Did you ever get your raffle prize? I have your ticket stubs if you need them to claim your fan.
3. We would like to have you and Markus over for dinner this week or weekend. Give me a call and we can figure out an evening that works.

Thanks, Melanie

Anonymous said...

That's awesome Melanie! I had no idea that coral could be so big!
Looks to me like you are becoming a blogger wiz yourself.
josh