We first went to our friends, the Murphy's, and borrowed two sets of clubs. They happen to live just down the road from the course, so it was just a quick trip down to the "clubhouse" to pay our fees and grab a golf cart. 18 holes... $5/ person. Cart rental... $12. So for $22 we were set for an afternoon of whacking a tiny little ball across a field with a stick.
Now you should all know that the last time I played golf was about 8 years ago in college. So I was certainly ready to be less than pro my first 9 holes. This was in fact the case, as I shot about 2-3 over par on every hole. It really didn't help either that my clubs were about 3 inches too short for me.
Part of my issue also stems from the fact that I tend to shoot a 3 iron for nearly every shot. Every few holes I would shift to the occasional use of a 3 wood , maybe a pitching wedge here or there, but in general I played 18 holes with a 3 iron and a putter. Who needs all those clubs? What is the secret? Well, Roger (along with 99% of other golfers) keep their swing exactly the same and change clubs to accomodate differences in terrain and distance. I use the same club and alter my swing to the conditions. I realize to the golf elite this is some kind of horrible sin, but it works for me. Yes, I understand that if I ever want to go pro I would likely need to figure out what the other cubs are for.
It took awhile, but at around the ninth or tenth hole I started shooting decent. Not good, but decent. Roger and I ended up with a one stroke difference on the back 9. Significant improvement considering I was about 20 strokes down after the front 9.
Adapting to the course is one thing that Roger and I had in common. It turns out that building a golf course on an old swamp on a tropical island really effects the way that grass grows. Who knew? So while the "greens" are the same color they are at home, that is about all they have in common. This makes all aspects of the game slightly more challenging. Sure it wasn't playing golf like the original Scots played on the moors, but it was likely closer to that then playing at your local country club. Putting seemed to be our greatest struggle, though Roger made it look easier than it really was.All in all, it was a very nice afternoon on the course. I may even play again. Did I mention you can buy and drink beer on the course? Can't do that on most courses at home...

No comments:
Post a Comment