
Imagine my dismay when I found out that my research trip to Ta’u was postponed. No it is not what you are thinking. I was upset because it meant that I would be at wor
k on Wednesday. Why is that alarming you ask? Well, it was because the U.S. Secretary of the Interior was coming for a visit. That in itself was bad enough. A good friend of George Bush was unlikely to be a friend of mine. The worst thing though was this…. I finally had to break down and wear my NPS uniform. Don’t get me wrong, it is not a bad uniform, but I rather enjoy my status as a biologist and the perk of not needing to wear a uniform that comes with it. But yes, I am a park ranger (I have a badge and everything). So since I was not “off-island” I was to schmooze with Secretary Dirk Kempthorne.Have you ever met a career politician? I have. Those of you that know me well can likely envision this scenario…. Well, actually it went well. Seriously. I was even asked to go hang out and swim with him and his staff at their hotel. Weird.
4 comments:
You can play well with others better than your Mom and Dad! Way to go Paul.
It's "Dirk," not "Dick." But, I guess there was probably a reason you called him that.
I called him Dick all day, both to him directly and to his aides. No one bothered to correct me. I really thought that was his name. There was no other meaning to the naming of the post.
Paul,
Love the beard! You look good in your uniform or could it just be that shinny badge?
josh
Post a Comment